On episode 239, Amrie (@mytakeontv), Jason (@theTVaholic) and Rae (@raelee) talk some cancellation and renewal news, then preview the 2014 FOX Fall TV schedule and discuss a recent episode of You’re the Worst and the eighth season premiere of Doctor Who. Plus, a reality check, some TV recommendations and some listener feedback. (Start times of each segment/topic)
We talked about the following 12 TV news stories:
- ABC Family Cancels Twisted After One Season
- AMC Renews Halt And Catch Fire For A Second Season
- Rogue Renewed for 20 Episodes on DirecTV
- The Strain Renewed for Season 2
- HBO Renews The Leftovers for Season 2
- Seth Meyers’ Hulu Series The Awesomes Renewed for Season 3
- The ‘Journey’ Continues: Finding Carter Is Coming Back For Season 2
- Emerald City: NBC Cancels Plans for New Oz Drama
- Lost Girl Ending With Season 5
- Showtime renews Masters of Sex & Ray Donovan for season 3
- Sundance Renews Rectify for Season 3
- Starz renews Outlander for a second season
FOX Fall TV Preview 2014 (00:09:58)
We went over the 2014 FOX Fall TV schedule and gave premiere dates for new and returning shows and then previewed the all the new shows that we’ve seen ahead of time.
- Sunday – Returning shows Bob’s Burgers, The Simpsons, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Family Guy and new show Mulaney. (00:10:12)
- Monday – New show Gotham and returning show Sleepy Hollow. (00:17:59)
- Tuesday – New show Utopia and returning shows New Girl and The Mindy Project. (00:25:09)
- Wednesday – Returning show Hell’s Kitchen and new show Red Band Society. (00:27:36)
- Thursday – Returning show Bones and new show Gracepoint. (00:32:58)
- Friday – Returning show MasterChef Junior and new show encore of Gotham. (00:37:45)
- Saturday – CFB on FOX. (00:38:19)
We used the specific episodes listed below as a jumping off point to discuss the following two TV shows:
- You’re the Worst – S.1 Ep.6, “PTSD” (00:39:30)
- Doctor Who – S.8 Ep.1, “Deep Breath” (Season Premiere) (00:42:22)
Amrie’s Reality Check (00:51:01)
Amrie talked about MasterChef, Top Chef: Duels, So You Think You Can Dance and America’s Next Top Model.
TV Recommendations (00:54:19)
- Amrie recommended Parks & Recreation Season 6 – Official Site – Available on Amazon Instant Video (S.1-6), DVD (S.1-6), HuluPlus (S.1-6), iTunes (S.1-6) and Netflix (S.1-5). And, Sons of Anarchy Season 6 – Official Site – Available on Amazon Instant Video (S.1-6), Blu-ray (S.1-6), DVD (S.1-6), iTunes and Netflix (S.1-5).
- Rae recommended Australian series SeaChange – Season 1, Season 2 and Season 3.
- Jason recommended Sleepy Hollow Season 1 – Official Site – Available on Amazon Instant Video, Blu-ray, DVD, HuluPlus and iTunes.
Listener Feedback (01:01:54)
We thanked everyone that has liked us on Facebook or joined us on Twitter over the last couple months and then responded to a couple of comments from Ep.238.
What new fall show coming to FOX are you most looking forward to watching? Did you enjoy the eighth season premiere of BBC America’s Doctor Who or did it leave you with some questions? Do you love FXX’s You’re the Worst as much as Amrie and Rae? Let us know in the comments, send us an eMail, connect via Twitter @TVtimesThree, or Like us on Facebook.